In response to the current global COVID-19 pandemic, Cycling New Zealand (CNZ) wish to make public its current position on their International High Performance Programme activities.
In developing this position statement, consideration was given (but not exclusively) to how the pandemic has affected the general population worldwide, cycling racing, travel, short and long term health risks and CNZ’s duty of care towards its members and staff.
Therefore, CNZ supports and endorses the position of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) of New Zealand stated as follow:
MFAT currently advise that New Zealanders do not travel overseas at this time due to the outbreak of COVID-19, associated health risks, widespread travel restrictions and difficulty returning home to New Zealand.
As such, CNZ will not be conducting any national team campaigns or projects due to take place outside of New Zealand before 1 January, 2021 with the following possible exceptions:
- CNZ’s position may be reconsidered for campaigns and projects in Australia in the case there is a government endorsed Trans-Tasman travel bubble.
- CNZ’s position may be reconsidered for the 2020 UCI Road World Championships, the 2020 UCI MTB World Championships, the 2020 MTB Marathon World Championships, 2020 season Mountain Bike World Cups and remaining 2020 season BMX World Cups.When considered their position for these aforementioned events, CNZ will consider (but not exclusively) the most up-to-date MFAT position, the current COVID-19 position of the host country, information from the UCI and Event Organisers, and the ability of CNZ to provide the appropriate duty of care to their riders and staff.
With all aforementioned being taken into account:
- A decision on the 2020 UCI Road World Championships participation will be taken around but no later than 14 August, 2020.
- A decision on the 2020 season UCI Mountain Bike World Cups will be taken around but not later than 14 August, 2020.
- A decision on the 2020 UCI MTB World Championships participation will be taken around but no later than 28 August, 2020.
- A decision on the 2020 UCI Marathon World Championships will be taken around but no later than 28 August, 2020.
- A decision on the 2020 season UCI BMX World Cups will be taken around but not later than 25 September, 2020.
- In the case that this position is reconsidered for the above events, CNZ will only consider selecting and endorsing entries for Elite and U23 riders. Riders in these categories wishing to be considered will need to have been based in Europe for a minimum of one (1) month prior to the date of the start of the competition in question.
- For avoidance of doubt, CNZ will not enter any U19 (UCI Junior category) riders in any overseas events over which it has entry jurisdiction between now and 31 December 2020 (regardless of any potential exceptions listed above).
CNZ will advise at a later date if any road events taking place between now and the end of 2020 will be considered for Olympic selection.
CNZ continues to monitor the global situation and reserves the right to modify its approach to its activities over the next few months.
Cycling New Zealand